300 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Experience state government in action! You will participate in the legislative, political, and judicial processes. California Focus combines hands-on participation in workshops, debates, simulations, tours, and fun activities.
What you will learn and do
Register to vote, conduct a primary election, and develop a campaign for your party candidates.
- Enact legislation for the "governor" to sign into law.
- Present a poster of your plan of action/service learning project for your community.
- Meet with California State Legislators (Assembly Members and Senators)
- Tour the State Capitol, Governor's office and 3rd District Court of Appeals.
- Participate in fun activities and tours.
- Make new friends!
Registration is required by May 13, 2020.
Chaperone applications are due April 20, 2020.
1. Review and fill out the Pre-Conference Handbook. The handbook will help you familiarize yourself with your county and state legislators. Each morning delegates can give a presentation about their county.
2. Review the Service Learning Planning Guide before the conference. During the conference, you will learn skills that will help you create and implement a Plan of Action in your local community. You will be sharing a poster outlining your Plan of Action on the last day of the conference. Your proposed Service Learning Projects must be submitted for approval before you can start implementation.
3. All delegates must participate in the following Zoom conferences on a computer to view the information shared. Please save these dates!
Orientation May 20, 7-8 pm
Learn what you can expect at the conference and how to prepare for the conference using the Pre-Conference Handbook. Meet your chaperones and each other online before the conference!
Legislative Appointments: June 8, 7pm
Presented by Dr. Anne Megaro, Government and Community Relations Director, UC ANR
Please see the California Focus event site for more information about this unique event!